Monday, November 11, 2013

Arthur Rose 11.9.13

Art Rose died in the early hours of November 9, 2013 in his sleep.  Three days have passed and I am still in disbelief.

I received a message from Carrie, his sister in law.  She said she had bad news and needed to talk to me and to call her immediately.  I knew before talking to her that he was gone.

My heart is sad.  But I feel like he is finally able to rest.  Finally able to be at peace.

I had never met anyone so tormented by their own thoughts, so uneasy in their own head.

He was one of the most genuinely nicest people I have ever known.  He struggled with addiction for all of the years that I had known him.  He could not find peace.

I remember the day that he overdosed in 2003.  I had made it to his house before the ambulance.  I was terrified.  I stood in his living room as they carried his limp, cold body out of the house.  I watched him as he laid on his bed in the emergency room.  He looked like he was dreaming.  I was so grateful that he survived.

I watched him sleep, what little he did, months after that.  I laid next to him, snuggled in his arms and bed.  He never felt at ease.  It was too much for me.  Whether I was too young, or just too strong to be with an addict that would not even let temporarily dying keep him from using - I could no longer be with him, day in and day out - watching him go through the torment of his own brain.

I cannot say that I am shocked that he died this way.  But it is apparent that I simply cannot wrap my brain around the fact that he is no longer on this earth.

I have not cried.  I don't know why.  I am angry with him.  I am saddened for him.  And I am so very sad that he left his daughter behind.  I cannot even imagine.

I just cannot believe this has happened.  I just can't believe it.

So many people loved him so much.  I loved him so much.  I just wish he could have loved himself half as much as we did.




No comments:

Post a Comment